16 reasons to stay hungry
Do you eat visibly normally and are you constantly hungry? (not when you force yourself to starve yourself!)
In fact, it happens often. There is an easy explanation. But it is very harmful: hunger is extremely demotivating, regardless of the goal we pursue.
There can be many reasons for this to happen. The solution is usually easy. Just share with your coach right away. Frankly. Then it is easily repairable.
But let’s take a quick look at some of the possible causes.
- Sharply reduce regular servings
In the pursuit of fast results, a person almost instinctively significantly reduces his usual portions. Usually the coaching recommendation was not exactly like that, but the desire to lose weight quickly prevails and it is easy to come to self-initiative.
Most likely, the coach has recommended to reduce foods with more simple carbohydrates, but in no case those with protein and fiber. For fast and accurate analysis – keep a personal record.
- Sudden lifestyle change
Sometimes the client in the first consultation has stated that he leads a sedentary life. Sitting in front of a computer all day. The trainer counted the calories for this lifestyle.
But the client decides to go to the gym, to play sports actively, to walk at every opportunity.
This is great, but you should immediately share it with the coach, who will make adjustments and recommend nutrition and hydration before, during and after training. Otherwise, hunger and rapid demotivation follow.
- Protein deficiency
It can be the result of the first two reasons, but it can also happen completely independently of them. Usually no one eats enough protein before worrying about their diet. The shortage is often significant.
The coaches “pity” their clients in the beginning in order for the transition to be gradual or for purely financial reasons – not to increase their food prices sharply.
But if they stay hungry due to protein deficiency, it is more important to stop starvation! They will have to reach into their pocket for a “Personalized Protein Powder” or “Protein Drink Mix” package. Or just increase the shake. Or to eat more protein with their usual food, but in that case they should be careful not to overdo it with calories, fats and various harmful additives, such as are available for all types of meat that are sold in stores.
- Fat deficiency.
In an effort to lose weight, some clients are totally fat free. Error. Fat is just as necessary. For each person and for each lifestyle – in different quantities. This is one of the important roles of the trainer – to determine how much and what fats you need in the diet and which ones you need to get rid of. That without the necessary fats along with hunger you will face a number of other side effects.
- Water shortage (thirst)
The human body has a hard time distinguishing between hunger and thirst. Roughly speaking, his “sensor” is the same – the instinct for self-preservation. On the other hand, the food itself often contains water, so our needs are partially met without drinking water. Sometimes a good solution for hunger is to drink water first and eat only after a while. It may be that we were not hungry. Or at least we will eat less without overeating.
- Fiber deficiency
People often decide that they are more competent than their coach. Good self-esteem is useful and we respect it. But the coach has worked out various details that they may not have thought of, and it is not useful for him to overwhelm you with a lot of information at once.
Improper nutrition in this case means not following the recommendations of your coach.
Mistakes can be many and varied, I will give just a few examples.
- You decide not to eat 5-6 times a day, for whatever reason. Three times is enough for you. Or even two to eat fewer calories. Yes, but you do not know that at one meal, even if you take 200 g of protein, your body will absorb a maximum of 30-40 of them. After all three meals you find yourself with 120 g of protein, and maybe you needed 190-200. You can’t help but feel hungry.
- Your coach has explained how and how much shake (and protein powder, protein drink mix) to use at a meal. But you have decided that you have a lot, that you want to save it so that you have more time, that one day you will drink a shake, and the next day a protein drink mix or instead of the biggest measuring spoon you use the smallest (we have had such a case). So how can you not be hungry?
- Eat a pie for breakfast, because Aunt Penka makes them very nice and they are “organic”, and you will eat a shake for lunch and dinner. As good as they are, the patties are mostly simple carbohydrates and even before the first snack you will reach for something else sweet because you are hungry. The reason is a less complicated insulin reaction, which you can ask your coach in detail.
- Foods made from the same product, but in different ways, can have different effects on satiety. For example, a portion of boiled potatoes will satiate you for a long time, which, however, does not apply to a portion of french fries. You will both consume more, you will be “clogged” with fat, and the hunger after the french fries will occur faster.
- While eating – reading, watching TV, playing on the computer or doing something other than eating. A number of clinical studies have been done on this subject and it has been proven that those who do other things while eating also suffer from constant hunger.
And many other examples I can give. Just trust your coach and follow his recommendations.
- Fast food
This reason can also be related to poor nutrition, but because it was my personal problem and is a current problem for many people in today’s fast-paced world, I will allow myself to separate it. Because it is important.
The explanation is simple. The feeling of satiety reaches our consciousness about 20 minutes after we are really full. On the one hand, his body needs time – to change the sugar level, the stomach to be full, to regulate the functions of various glands. On the other hand, all these signals must reach the brain and it must analyze them and make a final decision.
In simple words, if we eat fast, we can take in these 20 minutes of unnecessary food for our body.
The solution is also simple – chew ball, try to eat with pleasure, do not do other things during meals.
- Manipulate ads, odors, and images
The feeling of hunger is not always due to the needs of the body. Sometimes we succumb to manipulation and deception: we see something tasty, we smell something tempting, so that we do not hold back and get a dose of pleasure from food as soon as possible.
Have you ever smelled freshly baked bread in the supermarket and didn’t actually have an oven in it? It has happened to me. It’s just a special fragrance and a marketing ploy.
And the colorful pictures on the stands at the box office? Have you noticed that the most tempting packages are located there? You need to know that this is so and do not succumb to manipulation and buy unnecessary things.
If you’re hungry all the time, maybe you should go to the supermarket, the kitchen less often, or kill hours on culinary sites and shows? Think about it.
- Stress, depression, or other emotions
Of course, there is a scientific explanation for this.
When I was little, depression tormented me until the first, at most until the second slap.
But let’s not joke about it, for some people it is a serious disease. However, today your GP will probably send you to a psychologist, doctor or pharmacy and will not explain to you what you did wrong in your diet and lifestyle.
Each case is different and no general rule can be given, but in principle hormones are the main culprits. Adrenaline, which is released into the blood during severe stress, dulls hunger. But cortisol, which also always accompanies stress, especially prolonged stress, blocks the dullness of hunger from adrenaline and we are ready to chew whatever we can get our hands on. When cortisol decreases, so does our feeling of hunger.
It’s not just stress that makes your feet go to the fridge on their own. Sometimes we eat out of apathy, boredom, sadness, depression.
Maybe we are in a bad mood all the time?
Let’s do something else that gives us pleasure. It can’t be gone! We don’t need a psychologist to understand what it is, or a medicine to do it.
Hormones interfere with our diet, but in order to confuse their levels, nutrition is the main reason. Eat right and over time everything will return to normal.
Unfortunately, there are times when a doctor or medication is really needed. Although in most cases the diseases are again due to improper nutrition, when they are already a fact and you need to react quickly, there is no way. However, treatment should not prevent us from switching to a properly balanced diet! Which must be consistent with the respective disease.
I can think of several such diseases:
- Diabetes is a disease associated with insulin levels. With it, even if you eat enough, our body does not convert food into energy, because it does not have enough insulin in this process. There are also various side symptoms, such as thirst, fatigue, frequent visits to the toilet.
- Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar – a condition in which the body does not have enough ‘fuel’. It can occur due to improper medication for diabetes or improper and irregular eating. It can also occur in the absence of carbohydrates, combined with high loads.
- Thyroid overactivity – This is the most common cause of hunger when there seems to be no cause. This can cause not only hunger, but also constant nervousness and bad mood.
These are serious illnesses and you should definitely seek medical attention. We are not doctors, our products are not medicines, although they are extremely effective, with them we only manage to help the body cope with its problems.
Pregnancy is not a disease, but to a greater or lesser extent it also “mixes hormones”. It still only affects women. Often in the early stages of pregnancy the appetite is increased. This can happen even before the woman realizes that she is pregnant. If you think you are pregnant, just get tested or see a doctor. And how to adjust your diet to your pregnancy, consult our trainer .
Hunger for drugs is a consequence of taking them for a disease, so I deliberately separated it from the disease.
Some drugs change appetite. Often these side effects come from antidepressants, but sometimes hunger is affected by antihistamines, antipsychotics, and corticosteroid-based medications. If you feel hungry after taking medication, tell your doctor and do not switch to self-medication.
It is well known that alcohol is a strong irritant to the appetite. But this is not the only effect – alcohol disrupts the activity of the brain, which deals with the body’s self-control, which combined with hormonal disorders can totally confuse you when you are hungry and when not. A trivial recommendation, but… if you can, limit or stop drinking alcohol altogether.
- Lack of sleep
Lack of sleep changes the balance of leptin and ghrelin. These are hormones responsible for the feeling of hunger. As a result of this change, you eat something fatter or sweeter.
But both are not the most appropriate food before or during sleep. The solution may be different, for example to install an alarm system in the refrigerator, which is activated after a certain hour.
I would advise you to make a portion of shake that will satiate you, is low in calories and will promote your healthy sleep.
- Store “wrong” products at home
We offer in our challenges a list of products that are suitable for shopping and we also recommend what to part with forever.
And the faster this separation, the faster the exciting results come.
Because if you store something harmful in the kitchen or refrigerator, there is no way one night or after a certain emotional upheaval not to be tempted and eat it.
And without it, the probability of going to buy it in the middle of the night is unlikely.
Therefore, keep at home a minimum in quantity and only useful products.